Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Good Times and Poofy Hair

Today's picture represents why I can't sleep with wet hair.  When I finally managed to get a comb through it it went POOF!  

Today was amazing.  I got straight out of bed, and sat at my desk and started working.  A little classical music, a little Turkish apple tea, a little toast and jam, and I had a day!

Jan Claus stopped by shortly to drop off some books.  Clan of the Cave Bear, and The Greek Myths (Robert Graves.)  :-D  I'm proud to say that I was able to resist temptation, and continue working.

I did a common room shift and studied a little Coptic.  Only a little because Taher (Iran) came in and we talked about poetry a lot.  

I went to the sports center a bit early to practice poi spinning.  I did a little Tai Chi, but it was really frustrating tonight, because there were only super beginners and the people practicing for a competition this weekend.  So, I went to the next room and spun some more.  Chewie, one of the advanced students, saw me and asked if I wanted to practice with his chain whip.  Chain whip!  The answer was yes.  So, I played around with that for a good long time, and didn't kill myself or anyone else.  :-D

Wushu was really great tonight.  Back in the intermediate line, but moving really fast.  I watched the advanced students a lot because the teacher is back now from China.  She's so intense!  I was really amazed at one guy who just couldn't get this one move to work.  The teacher had to literally hold his feet so they'd do the right thing.  But he wasn't frustrated at all by any of it.  He just kept trying.  Amazing.

Afterwards I stood outside with Dephina, Dean, and Clinton and talked.  About everything, literally, everything.  From Lord of the Rings to the Surinamese word for drool.  We stood outside and chatted until 11pm!  And decided on a series of movie nights: Bond, Lord of the Rings, Pixar.  Yeah.  

Jan Claus was leaving the sportscenter at 11 (apparently he's there every Tuesday at the same time as me, but we never see each other) so we biked home together and chatted a bit more about movies.

Now I'm home, and FREEZING.  Like, chilled completely.  But it's too late to shower.  Please note the morning after POOF: 

No comments: