Monday, November 17, 2008

What Women Want

You can always tell by my photo that it's Monday or Tuesday.  I'm always wearing my black sporty top and my hair is up in some configuration of a pony tail.  I so rarely wear my hair up when not playing sports anymore.  

Wushu tonight was pretty tough.  Jan put me in the Advanced line tonight!  This does NOT mean that he considers me advanced though.  There were just too many people in the intermediate line.  But I'm still a bit flattered by it.  :-)  It was terrifying though.  I was always the last one, of course, so by the time I go to the end of the room, I had the entire group of Advanced students watching me.  It was harder too, much harder, because there aren't as many advanced people, and they move a lot faster, so the line was really going quickly.  Back and forth, and back and forth.  We did three or four rotations while the beginners and intermediates did one!  Phew.

In sword forms I almost got IMPALED by a beginner with no control.  So a few of us went upstairs to go over the forms alone where no one would accidentally kill us.

Julia came by for dinner, and we watched What Women Want.  It's an amazingly stupid movie, but really pretty funny.  Julia and I agreed it was the perfect movie for the evening.  Brain candy.  Dumb, but entertaining.  Exactly what you need when all you do is stare at someone else's words on a page.

What do women want?  I think it mostly comes down to this: women want to define themselves the way they want to define themselves, and not the way anyone else thinks is appropriate.  I don't think this is different, fundamentally, than what men want.  Society has just told us women such opposing things for so long (you're a virgin or a whore, no middle ground) we're still a little confused by it all.  

Also, we (and by 'we' I mean 'I') want to read tons of amazing books, write a few of my own, practice Wushu everyday, dance, move to a big city in the middle of a lot of wilderness, and soak up a lot of sunlight.  

And be happy.  That too.  :-)

No comments: