I didn't get to sleep until pretty late, and the professor noticed me yawning quite a bit in class. I took an hour for lunch to read The Graveyard Book. I'm almost done. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. It's a good book, but not as good as Gaiman is capable of. Then again, I re-read American Gods not too long ago, and that book is a masterpiece.
Spent the rest of the day in the library translating and studying. I also did a little research into a possible masters thesis. I read through the Book of the Dead (actually called the Book of Going Forth by Day) and flipped through the Book of That Which is in the Underworld (the Imy-duat, or Amduat.) I'm looking for mentions of doors and especially of doorkeepers.
There are some wicked awesome passages where the door posts themselves talk to the dead saying "You can't pass through us unless you know our names" and the dead has to come up with their strange names which are things like "Brass pan for holding sunlight" or something. (Though when the dead is finally allowed to pass, the floor on the other side of the door says "You can't walk on me! I don't know the names of your feet!" so you have to tell the floor that your feel are called "Ox of Geb" and "Flower of Hathor." Just thought you should know.)
I also worked for an hour or so on a story. I actually started a novel about a year ago, but I only got about 8 pages in and stopped. I only knew one character, and I knew what happened to her, but there were holes. Like the other characters, and the events leading up to what happened. Then I got an idea for another story, and I was writing that one today, and boom, it all came together. Now I understand what happened to my other character and I think I just might be able to get it to paper! :-D
After my Mastaba class my professor and I walked home (we live in the same building) and talked about Egyptian language, and dissecting languages, and learning to read pictures like a language, and especially about making Egyptology relevant. This man is so wonderfully inspiring!
Now I'm plotting. I can't decide if I want to write or go to Prooost to play with my friends....
Such a tough life!

No comments:
Post a Comment