Man, what a day! The weather around here has lost its mind. We've had two days of hail! Hail! And today it snowed! The first snow of the season! Funny thing is, today was also the day that Sinterklaas came to town. :-) Sadly, I missed it, but that's ok, there's always next year.I spent my morning waiting for Jan to wake up and studying. And truthfully mostly waiting for the plumber to come and fix my shower. Which he did, and life is much cleaner now.
I stepped outside to watch it snow, and noticed Julia looking from her window into the courtyard at a small black cat. She had the most amazing yellow eyes I've ever seen, and was meowling at us hungrily. Sadly, we're both vegetarians and thus had nothing to offer. Alas. :-)
Jan Claus woke up, and we met Julia, Illaria and Janos at the market. I was amazed at how nonchalant everyone was about the hail. I feel like it should only hail if there's about to be a tornado, so to me hail is rather sinister. But we all slogged through it with no problems, no sense of urgency. Cool.
I'm also amazed at how nonchalant people are about the market. I still haven't gotten over how amazing it is to see so much fish, and fresh olives, and spices and flowers. The world is an amazing place!
After a successful market day (which among the group included purchases of bread, scones, kibbeling (fried fish), flowers, and 5 potatoes) Illaria, Janos and Julia wandered off back to their lives, and Jan and I went to the Pieterskerk to pick up our tickets for the Fantasy Fair (Ren Fair) tomorrow. We got cheese and corn bread sandwiches on the way. On the way back, we stopped in at an esoteric book store and geeked out for a while. Then on to a book store so I could buy note cards and so Jan could look at journals, and of course, the books.
Then home again where I spent the rest of my day making Egyptian flash cards. I now have nearly 300 of them, and I'm not done yet! I'm determined to learn them all too! Phew.
At 8 there was a pub quiz down at Café 't Keizertje. The teams were split up by faculty, so we had 2 Science and Math teams, 2 Law teams, the Humanities, and Archaeology. Unfortunately, Archaeology consisted of just Jan and me, so we joined Humanities. Such a great night of really tough questions and A LOT of laughter. These people are too much fun! My team was Carlos, Denny, Denny's girl, Walter, Cindy, Jan and me. In the end, Humanities won, too!
After Humanities made everyone cry, we all went downstairs and played pool. Jan, Walter and I played against Carlos, Kia, and Giorgios. It was actually a very sad game because we were ahead, and then, we lost. To Kia, who I don't htink has ever played pool in his life. Ever. Oh well. My team and I lost the pool tournament, but we walked out with heads held high. Or something. :-)
So, yes, another good day!
I'm beginning to rather enjoy winter now that it's decided to actually be winter and stop pretending to be other seasons like "fall" or "summer." Ha!
Tomorrow Jan and I are getting up early and going to the Fantasy Fair! I have to go pick out my outfit! :-D

No comments:
Post a Comment