Monday, November 10, 2008

Irgendwann werd ich von Glück verfolgt

Rough shot.  1am in the dark.  That was from last night.  Sunday was a good day.  I spent most of the afternoon with Rox (Romania) at the Rijksmuseum van Oudheiden. Which means: Egyptian Stuff.  I only skimmed through the place while my mom was here, so I had forgotten most of it.  There's some really great stuff in this museum.  Like, a small temple, and two funerary chapels!  That's pretty amazing to me, especially since one of the chapels is from a 5th Dynasty mastaba, which is what my mastaba course is all about.  :-)

I haven't hung out with Rox much before.  Ok, only once.  But she's really cool, and she really knows her Egyptian stuff!  Not in the way most people know Egyptian stuff.  She actually knows what she's talking about.  Not just sphinxes and cats and Eye of Ra, pyramid. Go Rox.  I hope to see her sometime soon again to chat some more.  

At night I went to Janos' new apartment for his housewarming party.  I met all sorts of new and interesting people.  Mostly physicists, who I think are awesome.  Notables were Anton  who was from Siberia, but Silvia thought he was from Italy, and didn't believe he was from Russia because he totally looked Italian and didn't have a Russian accent, Michelle who was from Italy, but no one liked that he didn't have an Italian name, so they called him Miccolino.  He wanted to be called Mitch.  There were a couple of Canadians, a Ukrainian, two Finnish girls.  And a Swedish guy who plays the banjo.  Also Julia, Silvia and Jason.  

I spent most of the night talking with Fabian (half-Swiss (German speaking) half-Hungarian) about just about everything.  
Today has been a bit stressful.  I've fallen behind in my classes, I'm afraid, and I have to get a hold on it now or it'll all spiral out of control really fast.  Really fast.  Coptic was a bit rough (though everything went much more smoothly after my coffee!) I had lunch with Lisa, Sonja, and Maut (all Dutch) and we studied a bit of Egyptian.  Then off to the beginning Egyptian.  Then straight to Wushu.  Then back.

I slowed down then, and climbed off my bike and walked home.  Tonight is just so beautiful.  A cool and wet and very windy night.  There's energy in the air, and you would almost swear the wind was trying to tell you something important.  There's one street in town that I always go to when I want to feel warm and safe and at home.  I don't know why, but this street makes me feel these things.  I stood on a bridge over the canal that runs along this street for a long time and listened to what the wind had to say, and watched it dance over the water.  Too beautiful to feel anything but an energized sort of calm.  :-)

At home now, and I'm feeling pretty good.  Mom's on Skype with me, and I'm watching her paint shirts for her kids.  Every year they learn about Native Americans, so mom dyes shirts for them to look like buckskin and paints little "Indian names" on the front.  Then at school they learn about the people themselves, and since they're five, they learn things like how Native Americans invented popcorn by throwing maze on a fire.  So every year mom covers the floor with paper, sits the kids around a popcorn popper with no cover, and lets it pop all over the room.  :-)

For the past few days I've been jamming out to Peter Fox.  If you know him at all (which you probably don't) you know him from Seeed, the Berliner dancehall reggae group I love so much.  (I guess if you know me in real life, I've probably played some Seeed for you at some point!)  He has a few new songs that are awesome, but I've been jamming out on Alles Neu and Haus Am See of late.  

Be prepared to see some quotes from these songs.  Because they rock.  :-)

No comments: