I'm going to update quickly. Jan Claus is still asleep, and I'm waiting for him to wake up so we can go to the market!Yesterday I did exactly as I promised and didn't get out of bed, except to make some toast, until time for class. :-) I didn't get quite as much work done as I had hoped, but flash cards were made, and Egyptian words were certainly learned. And a few poems were read, and some artwork was looked at, and though I might have technically been wasting time, I was expanding my mind, so I can't consider it wasted.
Plus, by the time I got to class I was awake, and alert, and ready to learn. And I did! Ah, Egyptian yesterday was so refreshingly clear! For once I could look at a sentence and not just know what it said, but I knew why it said what it said! I've realized this is a problem with me. Has been forever. When I was in middle school I could look at a word problem and be able to tell you the answer. But I struggled so hard to learn how to "show my work." In the end, I lost my ability to just look at a problem and figure it out in my head. Being forced to put the process on paper completely changed the way my brain comprehended math. I'm trying not to let this happen with Egyptian. I can look at a sentence and know what it says, but I struggle to remember whether a verb is a subjunctive sdjm=f or an indicative sdjm=f or a freakin sdjm.ty=f(y) I really hate those.
There was another Game Night, and it was yet again a blast. The usual suspects were there, and the Belgians played Colonies, as usual, and we played Apples and Pears, as usual. Though we did broaden our horizons and played Monopoly. I'm actually pretty notoriously bad at Monopoly because I have no head for strategy, and once people start getting competitive, I sort of have to shut down. But everyone was really light hearted about the game last night, so we all just laughed and joked, and the game was really just a prop. Which is as it should be. I ended up winning though, in the end. But that was just luck really, because I only managed to buy two properties, and fortunately didn't land on too many other properties. And I got the Free Parking money, which really boosted my stash. Haha.
Afterwards, Jan Claus, Walter, Kia, and two girls whose names I will never be able to spell, one from Indonesia, the other from Taiwan, and I went to some party of somebody. I was never quite sure why we went. Something about Facebook, I don't know. But we had a really great time. The music was sometimes really good, and we all danced. As the night progressed, however, the music sort of fell into Dutch music, which is, according to what I've heard, pretty bad. Really bad, actually. There was also a fight, and a few guys got kicked out. We were on a little catwalk overhead, so we got to watch and not get involved.
In other news: I did my dishes, cooked a meal, washed the dishes again. I stepped into the bathroom and found it completely covered in rice! Rice! A few days ago I spilled a bowl of rice in the sink while doing dishes, so lots of rice went down the drain. The shower has been draining really slowly lately, and I didn't even consider the possibility of the rice. Now, my shower won't drain at all, and every time I run water in my kitchen sink it ends up in my shower. I cleaned up the rice, but gah. Rice! Hahaha.
So that was my Friday. Jan Claus may sleep all day, but eventually we'll go to the market, and then hit the books. Next semester, I'm going to be the best student in my classes. I can just feel it.

No comments:
Post a Comment